Garbage disposals are amazing kitchen appliances that can make disposing of food waste a much easier and far less messy process. However, there are a number of things that should never, ever find their way into your disposal. Putting anything on this list in your disposal can lead to a broken garbage dispsoal, clogged drains, and even cause leaks and floods! So, without further ado, the list of things that you should avoid putting in your garbage disposal includes:
- Eggshells Eggshells can both cause damage to the blades of your disposal as well as cause a serious clog.
- Coffee Grounds Coffee grounds can damage the blades of your dispsosal. They can also cause clogs and find their way into the inner workings of the unit.
- Bones Bones are tough and hard. They can seriously damage garbage disposal blades.
- Grease of Fat Grease, fat, and oil can cause serious clogs in garbage disposal systems.
- Celery and other Raw and Tough Vegetables Vegetables like celery and carrots are tough vegetables that can cause serious damage to your garbage disposal blades.
- Potato Peels Potato peels will cause a clog in garbage disposals. They may seem like soft and garbage-disposal ready food waste, but they can really clog up a disposal.
- Fruit Seeds and/or Pits Fruit seeds and pits are too hard and tough to be put down the disposal as they can damage the blades.
- Pasta This is probably the weirdest food item on this list. Pasta (and rice) absorb water and swell in size. That swelling can cause severe clogs in garbage disposals.
Have a Clogged or Broken Garbage Disposal? Contact the Easy Flow Drain Plumbing Professionals!
If you have a clogged or otherwise broken garbage disposal, then don’t fret! Just cease use of the unit and contact the plumbing professionals here at Easy Flow Drain! We are always standing by to help you with any and all your garbage disposal problems. So, what are you waiting for? Give us a call today!